Sunday, June 7, 2009

Just wanted to post this quick...

Saw the Van Gogh museum today and was reminded of one of my favorite quotes by him.

"The sight of stars makes me dream."

The exhibit we saw was "Van Gogh and the colors of night" and featured his famous starry night painting as well as many others that focused on his facination with painting the night scene and doing portraits in a night setting. One thing I loved was how he always saw stars as hope, they were his light. He spoke of dreaming of stars the way he dreams to visit all the dots on a map, he had a very magical view of the night and stars which I love. I have often felt the same way about the stars...there is so much magic in them, but also, I have always felt such hope and wonder when I look at them.

I have been thinking a lot about my Uncle this trip. It seems like every time I turn around there is something I would want to tell him about or think he might have an opinion, or idea about. I think being in Amsterdam (Holland) really made me think of him since many childhood memories with him take place in Holland, MI, which surprisingly is similar to the Netherland's Holland. Every church we visit I say a prayer for him and my family, and if I can, I light a candle. It's not much, but I like to think that it makes him, and all of my family, a part of my journey. The candles remind me a little of Van Gogh and his love of the stars. When I light one, I take comfort in knowing that God is with me and that there is hope.

No comments: